Steph Sinclair's Reviews > Go the Fuck to Sleep

Go the Fuck to Sleep by Adam Mansbach

Sep 18, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads, i-loved-it, i-own-it, audio-books, awesome, pregnancy-and-child-rearing, all-time-favorites, funny, pure-win, so-wrong-it-s-right
Read in August, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 2

If Snakes on a Plane (view spoiler) and Mother Goose's Nursery Rhymes had a baby it would be this audio book. It was pure genius to have Samuel L. Jackson narrate. I mean, who's inner Samuel L. Jackson doesn't come out when they are sleep deprived, right?

When I'm sleepy, I'm the nastiest person you would ever have the misfortune of meeting. But somehow fate would have it that I'd be cursed blessed with the world's worst sleepers. Where are all those people that told me all babies did was sleep and eat? After having two little monsters lovelies of my own, I no longer believe such babies exist. -_-

Last night at the ripe hour of 3 am, my 13 month old (who we have affectionately dubbed "Destructo" for his uncanny ability to destroy anything he gets his hands on) felt it was the perfect time to play with mommy and daddy. After one extreme acrobatic nursing session, our night went a little something like this:

*Destructo plays in between mama and dada on the bed*

Me: I can't function.
The Mister: I told you not to put him to bed early. Now he won't go back to sleep.
Me: IT WAS BEDTIME!
The Mister: Shhh! You'll wake the Diva.
Me: No I won't. She's done for the nig---

*In walks the Diva*

Me: Damn, damn, damn!
The Mister: I told you so.
Me: Shut up. Go put her back in bed.

*Destructo's toe lands in my eye and he appropriately laughs*

The Mister: She's back in bed.
Me: Good. Now handle your son.
The Mister: He doesn't want me. He wants to go play.

**Suddenly, the voice of Samuel L. Jackson fills my mind.**
You know where you can go? The fuck to sleep!

Me: Amen!
The Mister: What?
Me: Nothing.

*We head downstairs. He plays. I curse my life in the corner silently.*

About 2 hours later we finally got Destructo back to sleep. Around here sleep is more precious than gold. So if you ever happen to visit during bedtime, we have a strict OCD like ritual you must adhere to. We turn the portable fans on for white noise. If this makes you cold, tuff ninnies! Don't use the microwave. Cold food wont kill ya. Put your damn phone on vibrate. And for the love of all things cheesy, don't flush the fucking toilet! Goodnight.

More reviews and more at Cuddlebuggery Book Blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Go the Fuck to Sleep.

Ruvinika lol...My favourite part is the conversation and the fact you named you son Destructo....xD

Steph Sinclair Ruvinika wrote: "lol...My favourite part is the conversation and the fact you named you son Destructo....xD"

Lol, it always amazes me how fast someone so small can destroy my living room and remain cute at the same time!

message 3: by Ruvinika (last edited Jan 24, 2012 12:12PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ruvinika I find this 'kids don't sleep' thing is so amusing. Guess I haven't got hit with the full impact yet since I don't have little ones of my own to cope with...:D

Steph Sinclair Ruvinika wrote: "I find this 'kids don't sleep' thing is so amusing. Guess I haven't got hit with the full impact yet since I don't have little ones of my own to cope with...:D"

I think it's combined with the fact that in the beginning they don't sleep very long and when they do sleep, it's usually during the times when you *have* to be awake. Don't worry one day you too will join Sleep Deprived Anonymous. Lol.

Ruvinika lol...."Sleep Deprived Anonymous".. xD
I like the sound of that...

Amanda The Book Slayer I got this from the library and I swear the librarian gave me the worst look b/c I had my kids with me. Like I was actually going to read that to them. Nope the F-word does not get said often in the house.

Steph Sinclair Mommaseymour wrote: "I got this from the library and I swear the librarian gave me the worst look b/c I had my kids with me. Like I was actually going to read that to them. Nope the F-word does not get said often in th..."

They have a kid version avaiable now too. No curse words are said in my house either.

Seriously, Just Go to Sleep

Amanda The Book Slayer Thanks Steph. lol I had no idea there was a kid version.