Janet's Reviews > The Glass Castle

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

May 29, 12

bookshelves: biography-memoir, book-addict-challenge-2012, non-fiction, read-in-2012
Read from September 19, 2011 to May 29, 2012

I would rate this book 3 1/2 stars, if given the option.

Jeannette Walls life story is extraordinary, to say the least. I admire her for being able to leave a home with no electricity, no running water, a leaking roof and more at age 17 and find a way to survive and thrive in NYC. I also admire her ability to come to accept her parents, despite their shortcomings.

I give Jeannette Walls 5+ stars for overcoming obstacles and accomplishing all that she has, including a top-notch education, successful career, maintaining ties with her family of origin, and building a new life with a husband and home that she loves.

When I was reading the book, I got bogged down in the content. The story was very well told. I guess I did not feel driven in any way to finish the book. I read a chapter or two at a time, and put the book aside for other reading. I probably would not have finished the book, if it was not part of a "reading challenge" in one of my book groups. That said, as I came to the last 50 pages of the book, I couldn't put it down. I stayed up until 4AM to arrive at the conclusion.

My rating of the book might actually be a bit lower than it deserves, because I was familiar the content from hearing the author speak. The end might have seemed more riveting because I did not know how Jeannette Walls and her siblings found their way to change their lives.

Overall, it is a memoir that is highly unusual, told without self-pity, and gives the reader a lot to reflect on.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glass Castle.

09/19/2011 page 26
9.0% "I am reading this book, because I heard the author speak last spring. I enjoyed her book, "Half Broke Horses," but I am having more trouble getting into this one."
05/27/2012 page 180
63.0% 2 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

Martha I was just reading your review - that is great that you saw her speak! I would have enjoyed that!

Janet Martha, she gave the keynote speech for the United Way Campaign kick-off in our area 1 or 2 yrs ago. A friend asked me to attend. I had not heard of Jeannette Walls until that day. She is an inspiration.