Lori's Reviews > Girl of Nightmares

Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake

Oct 01, 11

Wow. This book, you guys. Cas continues to be unexpectedly funny, despite that he's almost constantly sad and conflicted. Thomas is pretty much the most amazing best friend ever. I still adore Carmel too, even though she made me really angry at one point. For the majority of the latter half of the book, I loathed Jestine. But I grudgingly grew to like her as well.

Most of all though, I missed Anna. She wasn't in this book nearly as much as I wanted her to be. Anna is still my favorite character, so the lack of her really was a downer for me.

Girl of Nightmares takes us well beyond Cas's world where it's just him and his athame. We get history and a greater understanding of how the athame works. It's all fantastic and interesting, and kind of boggling how Cas was left in the dark for so long.

Like the first book, this one was delightfully creepy. There was this particular scene--everyone who's read it will know exactly what I'm talking about--where I was genuinely creeped out. (I happened to be reading this scene right after my husband and daughter had just left for the store, and it was just me with the dogs and it was dark out and I am SUCH A WUSS.)

Admittedly, I didn't love this book to the same level I loved Anna Dressed in Blood, but I still really, really enjoyed it. It was a fantastic ending to a much-too-short series. In fact, I wish there was more! I would totally read an entire series about The Adventures of Cas and Friends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl of Nightmares.