Kate's Reviews > Thrive: The Vegan Nutrition Guide to Optimal Performance in Sports and Life

Thrive by Brendan Brazier

Sep 27, 2012

Read from September 18 to 25, 2011

I cannot say enough great things about this book. I was already interested in the interplay between health and nutrition before reading this book, but I think that interest has now grown into a full-fledged hobby--with much more science behind it.

I will likely be going mostly vegan now (exceptions may include humanely-made eggs or wild coldwater fish). I am also already making other changes to my diet, making sure I get enough of certain nutrients--not just the obvious B vitamins that vegetarians miss out on, but other more subtle nutrients I hadn't even previously thought of (things like getting enough tryptophan, which is a precursor to the whole seratonin/melatonin cycle, etc).

The recipes in the back will definitely provide me some starting points to make my own version of this way of eating. I can't imagine using them all verbatim, all of the time, however. For example, I'm ok with small amounts of gluten--so if I'm going to make a pizza, I'm going to make it with wheat, then perhaps cut with a gluten-free flour, not exclusively use the bean and seed flours the Thrive pizza "crusts" call for. :) However, one subset of the recipes I likely will be following exactly are the excellent pre-, during, and post-exercise eats. He even breaks down for you the ratios of macronutrients you should be getting depending on the intensity/duration of exercise you are doing, and denotes specific recipes for each. It doesn't get much more helpful than that.

I should probably stop here, because I could go on and on about how much I love this book. Suffice it to say it's a stellar introduction to much healthier way of eating, and a great jumping off point to begin your own personal nutrition investigations.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thrive.