Madeline's Reviews > It's Not Summer Without You

It's Not Summer Without You by Jenny Han

Nov 18, 11

Read from September 18 to November 13, 2011

In this realistic fiction novel, Belly Conklin has gone to the summer house in Cousins beach every summer of her life from the time that she wore diapers to the time that she wore bikinis. Belly’s mother’s best friend, Susannah, has two boys named Jeremiah and Conrad, and she believes that Belly is destined to be with one of her sons. This year, after years of battling cancer, Susannah has finally lost. For the first time in her life, Belly isn’t at the beach house, but is spending the summer in the last place she wants to be; with her on-off best friend Taylor Jewel. Belly is in love with Conrad and has been since she was a little girl, but recently he dumped her at her very own prom. After losing his mother, Conrad became self-absorbed, introverted, and hostile towards all people. Upon getting an unexpected call from Jeremiah, Belly and Jeremiah devote themselves to bringing Conrad back to the way he was before the devastating loss of his mother.

It’s Not Summer Without You is an easy to read, fun book for teenagers. Jenny Han’s ability to make the characters extremely relatable makes this book a pleasurable, light read. It’s Not Summer Without You is the sequel to The Summer I Turned Pretty, and after reading the first book, the beginning of the sequel felt a tad slow. However, as the book progressed, it turned into more of a cliff hanging page-turner that keeps readers wondering which boy Belly will choose. Han does an engaging job of showing the many ways in which Belly grows as a person and how she learns to discover the meaning of true love. It’s Not Summer Without You is a must read and keeps readers entertained throughout the novel.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's Not Summer Without You.

Eliza I loved this book! Great review:)

message 2: by Eliza (new)

Eliza AGREED! I couldnt put this book down. The third is also REALLY good!

Hannah This book was so good! I really want to read the 3rd one now!

Eliza It was surprising too...

Madeline I'm excited!

message 6: by Eliza (new)

Eliza Yah! I remember at camp liza stayed up under her covers reading the third... that shows just how good it is! You have to start reading it madddddd

Olivia I love this book!

Madeline Eliza wrote: "Yah! I remember at camp liza stayed up under her covers reading the third... that shows just how good it is! You have to start reading it madddddd"
hahah

Madeline Me too, Liv!

message 10: by Dana (new)

Dana I want to read this book so badly! Great review, it made me want to read this book even more!

Madeline Thanks:)

Emily Sounds like a book I'd read: fun book for teens. :)

Emily I'd have to read the first one first, but I already know about that one a little.

Hibba Hey ! I really loved this book. Can you suggest more books like this one, I mean in the same genre