Lindz-o's Reviews > Crit

4419493
Oct 08, 11

bookshelves: books-read-in-2011
Read from September 18 to October 07, 2011 — I own a copy

I really wish I liked this book more than I do. It's not that it's bad, it's just that it wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be. I feel really bad about that because I've met the author and he seems like such a super nice guy.

Kiraly has a way with words, that's for sure. I really enjoyed his description and just the way he writes. He's really witty and smart with his word choices.

Speaking of witty, I have to admit that one of the problems I had with the book is that the conversation between characters seemed, at times, overly witty. I began to feel like a real dolt for having such lame conversations with my friends (and I have cool friends). Overall, I was unconvinced that this was realistic dialogue.

Another thing I noticed were the hyperbolic descriptions of Las Vegas. Kiraly makes the environment seem even more absurd than it really is. I'm noting it here, but not complaining about it.

Gabe is not exactly a sympathetic character, or at least, I never felt any sympathy for him, but that doesn't mean that I didn't appreciate how he changes throughout the story. The ending satisfied me.

There were some moments when I actually laughed out loud. The description of Larkin's singing put me right there.

Bottomline: I like Kiraly's writing style and would love to read more from him. I have a feeling this will not be his best work.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crit.