Jessica's Reviews > Team Human

Team Human by Justine Larbalestier

Jun 24, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read in June, 2012

When I heard that Justine Larbalestier and Sarah Res Brennan wrote a vampire novel together, I knew I would like it, and Team Human doesn't disappoint.

The story follows Mel and her group of best friends Cathy, Anna, and Ty as they adjust to the new student in their high school--a vampire named Francis. While it is unusual for vampires to take part in the public school system in the town of New Whitby, the newbie is not as shocking to the students as he might be elsewhere since New Whitby was founded so vampires and people could co-exist peacefully. Some people, like Mel, are not really fans of vampires, while others, like Cathy, find them intriguing and romantic. As Francis begins to acclimate himself to school life, he spends a lot of time with Mel and her crew, much to her dismay. Mel cannot understand why most people seem so enthralled by Francis' pretentious presence or why Cathy wants to get to know at all.

Mel cannot devote all of her time to cock blocking Cathy's burgeoning relationship, however, because Anna has confided some family problems that she hope Mel will help her work out. At the beginning of the summer, Anna's father left her mom for his vampire lover and has not been heard from since. Understandably, her mother's world was rocked, but it's been months and she only seems to act weirder instead of getting better.

Team Human was an amazingly fun read that's part romance, part mystery novel. Its playful, sarcastic tone helps make a town with vampire and human residents seem commonplace and understandable. Mel's quips on the people, places, and situations in her life had at least a smirk on my face the entire time I was reading and more often I was smiling or laughing. The plot has a lot of small twists and turns that kept me from guessing exactly what would happen next, which kept my interest high. I hate being able to predict an ending half-way through.

If you're looking for a new spin on vampire/human relations or want a fun read with a plot that keeps you guessing, I highly recommend Team Human.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Team Human.