Emma's Reviews > Anna and the French Kiss

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Sep 18, 2011

bookshelves: owned-kindle, romance
Read from September 19 to 20, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

When Anna's pretentious father decides to send her to a boarding school in Paris for her final year, she is not best pleased; she doesn't speak a word of French and things back in Atlanta with Toph - a boy she worked with - were just starting to get interesting. Then she meets fellow student, Etienne St Clair, and 'interesting' doesn't even begin to describe how she feels about him.

I was recommended Anna and the French Kiss when I asked for 'a heartwarming - rather than heartbreaking - romance (not written by Nicholas Sparks)' and this absolutely fit the category. I needed something light and happy after reading The Book Thief and this novel delivered impeccably which is why it is getting four stars when the reality is, it should probably only be a 3.5. Sometimes timing is everything.

Anna and St Clair are great characters. Anna is homesick and unhappy about being sent to Paris but it doesn't stop her from appreciating the opportunity and enjoying herself. She doesn't go around with a long face about everything being unfamiliar - she finds it difficult, yes, but how she copes with it is part of her character arc and helped endear her to me. She is also funny and St Clair is great. It's really no push to understand why everyone falls for his charm - he actually is charming, not just described as such like many other authors tend to do with their hero.

I think Perkins did a great job of describing Paris, I really did get a sense of it and I couldn't help but think of Die for Me, another YA novel I read this year with a female protagonist who had just moved to Paris. I didn't get a sense of place in that novel at all, but Anna and the French Kiss did manage to create a vivid setting and not a cliched one either.

That's not to say it doesn't have it moments of cliche and predictability and I was slightly disappointed with the ending (view spoiler) but I liked how the author tried to show the situation from all the different perspectives and tie up the loose ends.

There were some points where it felt like I was being 'taught' something a little unsubtly and the irony of Anna's disdain for the melodrama of her father's romance novels did draw a wry smile from me (view spoiler) However, overall I really enjoyed it and I'm sure when I'm next feeling in the mood for a bit of romance to brighten up my day, I will revisit Anna and the French Kiss.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anna and the French Kiss.

09/19/2011 page 26
7.0% "I might be biased but any book where the American MC admits that it makes more sense to call it football rather than soccer is going to make me smile."