Katie's Reviews > Beloved

Beloved by Toni Morrison

Oct 11, 11

bookshelves: books-for-school, books-i-would-cheat-with, own
Read from September 30 to October 11, 2011

Have you ever been in a relationship so fierce, so intense, so wild it felt both dangerous and exciting?

As I read Beloved, I felt like I was battling the text and some unexplainable yearning within myself. I found an unmanageable lover in the words that fill these pages. If words were limbs, I would have found myself captivated, my limbs so perfectly fitting between the spaces of my literary lover. Yet, in the moments I was not completely captivated by the beauty of the words on the page, I found myself abused by the content. Sethe's story is deep, meaningful, poignant, but it hurts. It is a story that cuts deep. At times, I felt betrayed by what Morrison laid out before me. How could something so beautiful be so dark?

What else is there really to say? I feel that emptiness and longing I always feel when I have reached the cessation of a particularly moving book/novel. I am changed and as with relationships of the aforementioned nature I want what I felt, what consumed me back. I may not fully understand the power of the words in Beloved, or how they managed to take hold of me, refusing to let go, but I do know I would love to feel the power, and experience all of the abuse again. If only so I could dwell a little longer on it's beauty.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beloved.

10/04/2011 "Do you think an author writes with the intent of causing the reader to experience particular emotions? Do you ever feel like you don't feel the "right" way about a book? I feel like that with this book...so far." 1 comment