Melanie Guerra's Reviews > Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War

Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick

Sep 18, 11

Read in September, 2011

This book should be the basis for all US History classes in high school, and mandatory reading in college, regardless of major. This is a highly engaging,intellectual discussion of the genesis of the United States of America. The story of the Mayflower, its passengers, their decades of establishment (no it was not just that first year we all know about with that Hollywood Thanksgiving ending), and how their children took so much of what their parents had achieved for granted. It's a story that still exists in our culture, nearly 400 years later. The level-headed account of King Philip's War, the steps and mis-steps of the settlers, the differences of opinion between the native tribes, and the repercussions of the war is an assessment of history that should not be overlooked. There is much to be learned from our collective past, and this book is an excellent place to start. It is a tremendous read, one which deserves discussion and digestion. The TRUE story of Mayflower needs to be the one we celebrate. Philbrick has won me over again!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mayflower.