Leslie Kay's Reviews > Bury Your Dead

Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny

Sep 18, 11

Read in September, 2011

What I like about Louise Penny is that she is so thoughtful about her stories and characters. Her mysteries certainly aren't "thrillers" but rather slow unravelings of lives, motives and feelings. I really liked this book.

Favorite quotes:
"Did he seem better? Was he getting better? Emile thought so, but he also knew it was the internal injuries that did the most damage. The worst was always hidden." pg. 201 Emile about Gamache.

"He had a knack for annoying people, but you don't kill someone just because they're annoying. The place would be littered with bodies." pg. 219 Alain Doucet the bookseller.

"Sometimes life goes in a direction not of our choosing. That's why we need to adapt. It's never too late to change direction." pg. 235 Minister Tom Hancock to Gamache.

"Wait, Armand," he heard behind him but kept walking, ignoring the calls. Then he remembered what Emile had meant to him and still did. Did this one bad thing wipe everything else out?
That was the danger. Not that betrayals happened, not that cruel things happened, but that they could outweigh all the good. That we could forget the good and only remember the bad." Pg. 308 Gamache about Emile.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bury Your Dead.