Sam Still Reading's Reviews > Dannii: My Story

Oct 29, 11

Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: bought at a book sale
Recommended for: Dannii fans
Read from September 08 to October 30, 2011, read count: 1

Like most Aussie kids growing up in the 80’s, we all knew Dannii and her big sister, Kylie. Kylie was Charlene on Neighbours and Dannii was on Young Talent Time and Home and Away. We all wanted to be one of them, singing into our hairbrushes. So naturally I was drawn to read Dannii’s biography when I was browsing a book sale to catch up with what she’s been doing while I was busy growing up.

This book starts with Dannii as a child and ends with the birth of her child Ethan (I read the hardcover version; a softcover version I saw yesterday has the additional tagline ‘fully updated’ on it). It covers her time with Young Talent Time and Home and Away, then moves on to her pop career (some of it, such as the initial trip to New York sounded downright dodgy!) and its rises and falls. I didn’t realise how much of a hit Dannii was on the dance scene. It also covers personal times, such as her marriage to Julian McMahon (again, I didn’t realise how young she was!) and its demise. Dannii is remarkably restrained when it comes to rumoured spats with Lady Sonia McMahon and later Sharon Osborne; it’s a credit to her that she handles them in a dignified manner. For Kylie fans, there’s not a great deal about her (it is Dannii’s book after all).

This was a very fun and easy read, a sort of adult extended version of the Dannii magazine I had as a child. Dannii talks about her friendships, personal trials (she’s had a few of them for someone so young) and achievements – again substantial. You are someone to be admired Dannii!

So if you were someone who grew up with Dannii on the screen and radio, I’d recommend this to you to reminisce. If you’re a newer fan, read this to find out where it all started.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dannii.