Kristy's Reviews > The Ask and the Answer

The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness

Oct 10, 11

bookshelves: read-2011, teen-fiction, ya-fiction
Read from September 18 to October 09, 2011

I actually didn't enjoy this quite as much as the first book but I can't face giving it anything other than 5 stars. It's even more violent and brutal than The Knife of Never Letting Go and sometimes I just thought 'why?!' but that's the point isn't it? War makes monsters of men and while the events in this trilogy are pretty brutal, far worse things are going on in the real world.

Viola and Todd have been split up and end up helping the two different sides in a war. Viola is with the women - The Answer (I say the women but there are men too), Todd is with Mayor (President) Prentiss. Throughout the book you are left wondering which is the better side to be on as neither of them is the 'good' side, both sides use pretty nasty methods to try to achieve their aims. Viola and Todd seem to wonder the same thing though they both take part in the methods perhaps out of fear, because they think it's the best thing to do or because they just don't know what else to do.

Mr. Ness is a very talented man, glad to see they are making a film of these books as it will open it up to a whole new audience. This trilogy is definitely up there with The Hunger Games.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ask and the Answer.