Simcsa's Reviews > Imaginary Girls

Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma

Jul 29, 12

bookshelves: fantasy-paranormal, read-in-2011, read-more-than-once
Read from September 24 to 28, 2011, read count: 2

I love this book. It's so beautiful, from the cover, through the last page.

"Ruby said I’d never drown—not in deep ocean, not by shipwreck, not even by falling drunk into someone’s bottomless backyard pool. She said she’d seen me hold my breath underwater for minutes at a time, but to hear her tell it you’d think she meant days. Long enough to live down there if needed, to skim the seafloor collecting shells and shiny soda caps, looking up every so often for the rescue lights, even if they took forever to come." (chapter one, first paragraph)

I admit it's not for everyone. Half the time you don't know what's going on. But does it really matter? Do we always need a clear explanation, everything served on a silver plate? I don't think so. If you do, then this book isn't for you. The charm of Imaginary Girls is in not knowing. You are supposed to use your imagination and figure out your own explanation. Is it realistic fiction, fantasy or paranormal? Why is it happening? What is in the reservoir? Why is everyone so infatuated by Ruby? You are the one to decide.

"This is how I know blood is meaningless; family connections are a lot like old gum—you don’t have to keep chewing. You can always spit it out and stick it under the table. You can walk away.
Ruby was my sister, but she was so much more than that. She loved me. She loved me more than anyone else in the whole entire world loved me. More than Mom, more than Dad. More than friends. More than any guy ever had, because no guy had. No matter how far apart we’d been these past two years, there was no question she did."
(chapter three)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imaginary Girls.

09/25/2011 page 136
39.0% "A boy once followed her around town for miles, tailgating her car and trailing her cart in the supermarket, and when she whirled around to ask what he wanted, he said he only wanted to say hi."
09/25/2011 page 140
40.0% ""And sometimes when you say a lie enough times, it’s like it’s true. Then you’re not even lying.""
09/28/2011 page 347
99.0% ""If you want something badly enough, it can come true— you just have to make it that way. By believing. I think she told me this once.""
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Melissa Ooh, do let us know what you think of this. :) I'm hoping someone enjoyed it, and can explain it to me. LOL

Simcsa I enjoy it so far, but I'm only 50 pages in, so we'll see.. :) Not sure if I will be able to explain it though :D It's weird and beautiful at the same time, but again we'll see.

Melissa I see, I see.. No worries, just read the book, I hope you enjoy it! It was beautiful for me but at the end of the day, too inexplicable. LOL.

Simcsa wrote: "I enjoy it so far, but I'm only 50 pages in, so we'll see.. :) Not sure if I will be able to explain it though :D It's weird and beautiful at the same time, but again we'll see."

Simcsa I think I love it although I absolutely don't know what's going on :) I see you gave it 1 star. Did you read it whole?

Melissa Yes, I did. Unfortunately, I found the book to be just too weird for me to understand, and when I can't understand a book, it's quite hard for me to like it.. :(

Simcsa wrote: "I think I love it although I absolutely don't know what's going on :) I see you gave it 1 star. Did you read it whole?"

Simcsa Such a pity you didn't like it! But I can see that it's not for everyone. For me it was just great :)

Melissa No worries, I'm glad you enjoyed it! :) To each his own, right? XD

Simcsa wrote: "Such a pity you didn't like it! But I can see that it's not for everyone. For me it was just great :)"

Simcsa Right :D

Wendy Darling I'm so glad you loved this too, Simcsa! :) One of my faves for the year for sure.

Simcsa For me it's not only fave for the year it's one of my all-life favorites. :)

message 11: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira tak miluješ, jop? :D

Simcsa priznaj sa, že si si prečítala len prvú vetu :D ale v podstate jop :P dávam práve re-reading

message 13: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira náhodou, přečetla jsem všechno kromě toho kurzívou. :D
a mlč! :D

Simcsa Tá kurzíva je najdôležitejšia! je to tak krásne napísané, že potrebuješ úryvok, aby si to pochopila ;)

P.S.aj by som ťa nútila pridať si to do to-read, ale.. veď vieš >D

message 15: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira pokud to není extra těžká angličtina, řadím to za HP a tu knihu se šíleně dlouhým názvem od Sašenky (víš že je i stejnojmenná píseň? :DD).
A já si to přečtu.
/a nekomentuj to, prosííím. :D/

Simcsa :DD (to sa neráta ako komentár, to je len smiech, prevedený do písanej podoby)
aj by som ti požičala svoj paperback, ale pokiaľ sa nevieš premiestňovať asi z toho nič nebude :P

message 17: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira díky ti, zlatko. :D Už mám ebook. x))

Simcsa rýchla :D

message 19: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira když chci, umím hledat docela dost rychle. :D úúúplná Lisbeth. xDD

Simcsa sorry, ale

message 21: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira drahoušku. :*

Wendy Darling Simcsa, you might like a book I just finished recently, Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone. I kept thinking of IG as I was reading it!

Simcsa Thanks, Wendy, I'm planning to read it. Hopefully I'll get to it soon. :)