Mein Hime's Reviews > Invincible

Invincible by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Sep 18, 2011

Recommended for: Young Adults, Urban Fantasy Fans
Read from September 18 to 20, 2011 , read count: 1

I was dashing through the library on a cold, rainy afternoon, desperate to get my bus. Had I taken the time to read the blurb at the back of this book, I'd have missed out on a real gem. As Sherrilyn Kenyon is on my "ping list", I grabbed a copy without delving and only had an "oh man!" moment on returning home.

Thankfully, my inital assumptions were so wrong. This is the second book in the Chronicles of Nick. It's so well written, I don't regret not having read the first. At no point as a new reader did I feel lost, though I must admit, the story would have been even more gripping with the first under my belt.

The book follows the adventure of young teenager Nick, a boy brought up by his fierce mama in the poorest parts of New Orleans. The story charts his struggles with his burgeoning powers. He has a destiny but personal choice will determine where he ends up. The problem? Who does he trust? His dilemna is almost palpable, you find yourself cheering for him when he makes what seems like a good decision and being utterly foxed by other choices and their impact.

Despite my misgivings, I bonded with Nick very quickly and am looking forward to seeing how this young man develops without losing his good heart, snarky humour and ultimately his soul.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Invincible.