Mackenzie (Oh, For the Love of Books!)'s Reviews > For Darkness Shows the Stars

For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund

Aug 04, 12

bookshelves: 2012, sounds-really-good
Read from July 17 to 20, 2012

As most of you know, I’m an action junkie. I like books with kick-ass characters, quests, action, ect. But every now and then, there comes along a book that may no exactly fit my normal standards, but I still end up loving it. For Darkness Shows the Stars is one of those books. This book isn't necessarily "dystopian". At it's core it is an epic love story. If you’re looking for an action-packed book, you won’t get it here. Neither will you get a tough and brave character in the physical sense. But there are different types of bravery. There are other ways to fight and show defiance. Strength isn’t always physical. Sometimes, being selfless is the hardest strength of all. Which is why I absolutely adore Elliot.

Elliot isn’t your physical kick-butt girl. She’s not going to go get a sword and destroy evil or anything. No. And because of this, at first I wasn’t sure I loved her. She seemed almost passive, something I abhor in a character. Yet I gave her a chance and I’m glad I did. Elliot is one of the most selfless characters I’ve ever read about.

Although not legally the keeper of the estate, her father’s ignorance and lack of care means she is the one to take care of everything. The only good thing about her life was Kai. We know that she didn’t run away with him, but the “why” is what makes her such a fantastic character. She put the welfare of those under her care above her own happiness. She knew her father’s cruelty and carelessness and couldn’t let her people suffer at his hands. She sometimes seemed passive because if she made her dad angry, he’d take it out on people she cared about. Therefore, she had a quiet strength. She did things without him knowing. She defied him in silence. While it did take her a while to stand up to him and sometimes I just wanted her to go ahead and do it already, I respect her choice.

To be honest, I absolutely hated Kai through the first half of the book. Because we know why Elliot stayed behind, I simply couldn’t understand how he could be so cruel to her when he returned. But don’t despair. Kai definitely redeems himself. He’s got such a good heart, he just first has to get past his hurt.

One element I really enjoyed throughout the book were the letters between Kai and Elliot. They give flashbacks to their relationship when they were young and I think it was just incredibly sweet and adorable. I loved getting the glimpses of their relationship.

And, as with all books, I love that it makes you think. While this book has religious undertones, it’s not “in your face” and it’s general. It’s part of the Luddite way. While prominient in some parts of the book, it doesn’t bother me because you get to see both sides and even a middle ground. Each character believes a bit differently and it’s makes you think about how things can apply to everyday situations.

Although this book is considered "dystopian", it is definitely "dystopian lite". The main purpose of this book is to shows the love story between Elliot and Kai, so don't expect fantastic world-building. I have to say that it did bug me some, I wanted to know more, but I was able to look over it and get to the meat of the story.

Overall:

For Darkness Shows the Stars isn’t an action-packed novel with kick-butt characters. It’s a beautiful love story with characters that are tough in their own ways. While not always my cup-of-tea, I couldn’t help but become entranced.

All the best ♥
Mackenzie @ Oh, For the Love of Books!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read For Darkness Shows the Stars.

07/17/2012 page 106

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rebecca ♥ Mat Cauthon ♥ This was really boring I found.

Mackenzie (Oh, For the Love of Books!) I'm actually liking it! Though I can definitely understand how it can be boring. Not much is happening action wise, but there's a beauty to it. I also really like Elliot's curiosity, intelligence and heart. Hm....we'll see if it continues to be good. Hopefully it doesn't go downhill!

message 3: by Zuleeza (new) - added it

Zuleeza Hey, you liked it! I need to restart this one again.

Someday.

Mackenzie (Oh, For the Love of Books!) Hahaha yeah! I actually liked it...surprisingly. It definitely was not what I expected, but surprisingly good otherwise. I wouldn't really consider it "dystopian" because at its core it's definitely a love story.