Stephanie's Reviews > Half the Church: Recapturing God's Global Vision for Women

Half the Church by Carolyn Custis James

Sep 18, 11

Read from September 17 to 18, 2011

First of all, I really should have given "Half the Church" four stars because some of the arguments the author uses are pretty flimsy, but I wanted to counterbalance the one-star review and give the author credit for her efforts in looking at this issue outside of our Western cultural lens.

This book spoke to me as a woman who is constantly wrestling with what I am supposed to do with my calling in the church. Thankfully I am in a denomination that has a 400 year history of egalitarianism, but I still struggle with not wanting to cause anyone to stumble.

I really liked the interpretation of Proverbs 31 - I have come to loathe the sickly-sweet interpretation of this chapter as a the quintessential homemaker. I also liked that James underscores that the Western Church's expectation that women first calling is to be submissive wives and mothers doesn't fit so many women out there both in the West and the rest of the world.

All in all, "Half the Church" was thought-provoking and encouraging. I can't ask much more of a book of this genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half the Church.