Nenia Campbell's Reviews > Logan's Run

2190064
Mar 06, 14

bookshelves: science-fiction, world-go-boom, x-1960s, publisher-bantam-books
Read from August 27 to 28, 2013

You can read more reviews at my blog, The Armchair Librarian.

I've never seen the movie Logan's Run, so I'm in the unique position of being able to read the book with a somewhat clean slate (bar the many pop-cultural references paying homage to the movie).

Logan's Run is not a bad book, but it is a dated one. In many ways, it perfectly encapsulates all the bones I have to pick with vintage sci-fi. It is sexist, cheesy, superficial, campy, ridiculous, and yet also quite morbid. My strongest impression was that Nolan was not quite sure where he wanted to go with this book, and as a result it teeters between being a series dystopian/post-apocalytpic effort and being one of those hokey wallpaper sci-fi efforts, rather like the movie version of Dune, with Sting and his metal diaper.

Logan's Run the book is a world where people, at age 21, voluntary commit suicide via euthanasia. Most people accept this, but there are a few rebels who try to escape their fates, called "Runners." These Runners are chased by enforcer soldiers called Sandmen who then blast the Runners with a special high-tech gun that basically rips their nervous system apart.

Logan was an enforcer, but when he notices the crystal flower in his palm turning black, which means that his time is coming up, he decides to pull a Runner. What follows is a strange and bizarre epic, with a half-man, half-machine and completely mad artist who likes torture almost as much as he likes ice sculptures; cannibalistic ice men; sex-obsessed sadistic gypsies who talk in pidgin that is almost offensive as their poor characterization; a superficial society based on sex and appearance, as if Pleasure Island from Pinocchio was designed for teenagers instead of kids; and so much more.

I suppose on some levels, Logan's Run makes for an interesting look at how shallow modern society is. Halting life at 21 to control population is a bit like salting your garden to get rid of weeds. Yes, you eliminate the problem, but you also create several other, far more serious problems. I cannot imagine a completely young society, with no nuturing, no affection, no sagely wisdom.

I think this quote from the book says it best:

2 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Logan's Run.

05/16/2013 marked as: really-want
06/27/2013 marked as: birthday-wishies
08/27/2013 marked as: currently-reading
08/27/2013 page 23
15.0% "I have not seen the movie but the book is pretty good - I don't usually like vintage sci-fi. :D"
08/27/2013 page 23
15.0% "Why are they in a fiberglass bed? Fiberglass is itchy. I would know. I jumped into a pile of the stuff once..." 6 comments
08/27/2013 page 70
46.0% "Why do all the sci-fi books I've read recently have cannibalism in them? O_O''" 6 comments
08/28/2013 page 74
49.0% "His name is Box. xD"
08/28/2013 page 98
65.0% "This pidgin English is wincingly cringeworthy."
08/28/2013 page 98
65.0% "Haha. "Logan's Gun." I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE, BOOK."
08/28/2013 page 121
81.0% "o___O"
08/28/2013 page 149
100.0% "Didn't really like it but it was interesting. Also this quote:

"The wonders of Man were achieved by the mature, the wise, who lived in this world before we did.""
08/28/2013 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by April (new) - added it

April Fabulous review Nenia. I've always wanted to read LR because of the movie but your review has persuaded me otherwise. I agree with your point about vintage sci-fi, too.

Nenia Campbell Thanks, April! <3

Darth Fierce dang, nenia, your second paragraph is all the reasons I liked this movie! :D

Nenia Campbell Michael Fierce wrote: "dang, nenia, your second paragraph is all the reasons I liked this movie! :D

But. I haven't read the book yet. Coz I picked it up for 15¢ at a library booksale today."

I'm pestering my brother to rent this from Netflix because he's the only one in our family who'd watch it with me. I look forward to seeing the movie and how it compares to the book. I think they bumped the age up to 31 in the movie vers?

15-cents, huh?! Not too shabby! Let me know when you post a review! Would love to compare notes.

Darth Fierce Nenia wrote: "Michael Fierce wrote: "dang, nenia, your second paragraph is all the reasons I liked this movie! :D

I'm ..."

I'll do that! yeah I got a whole bag of books (coz I'm a Friend of the Library) for $2!

I think you will find the movie to be WAY better, I'm sure. Yes, it's cheesy. Yes, it's probably even sexist and several of the other things you said. But. It's a classic and fun to watch ~ the most important thing o'course!

I even own a follow up soundtrack to the *sequel* that doesn't exist. Called, Logan's Sanctuary (also the bands name) for fans of Air, Beck (the good stuff), Phoenix and the like. An Indie Pop gem tbh! :)

*I should write a review. I'm already getting ideas! ;)