Luann's Reviews > Emma, Vol. 01

Emma, Vol. 01 by Kaoru Mori

Sep 17, 11

bookshelves: 2011, graphic-novels, historical-fiction, young-adult
Read on September 17, 2011

This month the Pick-a-Shelf group is reading graphic novels. So I picked up the first two in this series from the graphic novel section at the library. I've read a few graphic novels - mostly just so I could see what happened to favorite characters from Buffy or Firefly. I've also read a few of the Babymouse books when deciding whether or not to purchase them for my school library (which I did and my students LOVE, by the way), and I've read a few random graphic novels for challenges here on Goodreads. So while I do have a little experience with graphic novels, they aren't really my go-to type of book.

This series, set in Victorian England, looked like something I might really enjoy. This is printed in the traditional Japanese manga format by starting at the end of the book and the top right corner of the pages and you read the story by moving "backwards" through the book. You also have to pay close attention to the illustrations and subtle signs on the page that let you know when you are going to a flashback memory, or a character's dream, etc. I'm sure it's my inexperience with Japanese manga that made it difficult for me to pick up on the author's clues and caused me to have to reread some portions in order to figure out what was going on. This first book in the series was pretty much just an introduction to the setting and the characters with not a whole lot really happening. All in all, though, I did enjoy it and look forward to reading more in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emma, Vol. 01.