Emily's Reviews > A Beautiful Blue Death

A Beautiful Blue Death by Charles Finch

Sep 17, 11

Friends, I have discovered an excellent new series. By far my favorite mysteries are ones where the detective drinks a lot of tea and does a lot of thinking; I secretly desire to be Miss Jane Marple when I grow up. Set during the days of Queen Victoria, A Beautiful Blue Death is a gem; it's thoughtful, detailed, funny, and engaging, and I didn't want it to be over once it actually was. Happily for me, there are several more books already published with another one coming out later this year. I love it when that happens!

Anyway, the detective here is Charles Lenox, the second son of a well to do family who loves reading (especially about the Roman empire,) eating good food, drinking tea, taking baths, and planning trips to far away lands. His best friend in the world is Lady Jane Grey, a super sweet lady who has the same temperament and sense of humor as him; as the book goes on it's plain to see that Charles has feelings for Jane that go way beyond friendship. It's through Lady Jane that Charles comes to be involved in this case- one of Jane's former servants has died, and she doesn't share the opinion that it was a suicide. She asks Charles to investigate, and investigate he does, discovering way more than he thought in the process.

Each page of this story was like a feast. There were so many great lines, great phrases, and interesting facts and descriptions that I was completely sucked in.This is a great example of my favorite kind of mystery, where lots of tea is consumed and lots of investigating is done. Forensics as we know it don't factor in; brainpower and observation get the job done. If you're a fan of Agatha Christie or P.D. James you're in for a treat.

Overall Grade: A+
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Beautiful Blue Death.

03/03 marked as: read

message 1: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee English mysteries always make me want to go have a cup a tea.