Patti Mcdermott's Reviews > The Memory Palace

The Memory Palace by Mira Bartok

F 50x66
Sep 17, 2011

liked it

For such a potentially moving subject, I felt oddly disconnected from the author's story. There is never really any deep thought or feeling, it's mostly Mother did this and we did that in response and a lot of guilt expressed. I also don't like when authors ask questions constantly. For instance," ...."Should I turn back, should I go home? Will she ever be okay?""What is on the other side of the golden wall?" "What do the pictures mean?". "Can a painting save a person's life?"
Who is the author talking to? Why not just say how she feels instead of putting out these weird, uninteresting questions? It's some kind of shorthand for expression that I find off putting, an easy way of describing the author's confusion without delving any deeper. I don't want to cogitate about whether a painting can save a person's life, I want to know if the author thinks it can save HER life....etc.
I did like the author's inclusion of her mother's diary entries, actually reading the unusual pairings of descriptions and feelings and paranoia and the jumping from here to there of a thought disordered person was fascinating!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Memory Palace.

Jenna I completely agree with the sense of disconnect between the action and the emotion.