Robyn's Reviews > Leviathan

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

Dec 19, 11

bookshelves: young-readers
Read from September 17 to December 07, 2011

I'm not the target audience, so I'll allow that young adults might like this book more than I did.

The world in Leviathan is definitely interesting - genetically manipulated animal scientists (Darwinists) versus steampunk (Clankers) at a turning point for the world (the events leading up to WWI).

The characters are very engaging and defined well, and the plot points were not predictable, yet I didn't find myself yearning to find out what was going to happen next. This left me feeling that I liked the story but wasn't in love with it.

I also felt the book - the first of a trilogy (including Goliath and Behemoth)- ended awkwardly. I expected a little more rumination on the questions in the minds of the two young main characters. Though there was a little of this, it mainly centered on the top secret eggs being delivered by Darwin's granddaughter to Constantinople. And then the narrative abruptly stopped. Rather than leaving me eager to move on to the next book, it left me feeling a little confused: that's it? kind of feeling.

I probably will not read the next two books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leviathan.

09/18/2011 page 25