Rachel's Reviews > She's Come Undone

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

Apr 26, 08

Read in September, 2003

I'm amazed by how many people hated this book. I had mixed feelings about it. Yes, the characters and situations were godawful, and at times it was more than a little contrived. A lot of people on this forum said it was hard to believe that so many horrible things could happen to one person - that I don't think is true. I have known people who have had that many horrible things happen to them. But some of the situations were pretty far-fetched. But I remember finding this book utterly fascinating and being unable to put it down. I'm not even sure why - it was such a horrifying book, but I guess it had a "train wreck" quality to it. I still remember this book so well even though I read it years ago. Even though I didn't relate to it personally that much, something about that book just stayed with me long after I read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read She's Come Undone.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cathy Good review....Like you, I know people whose lives have the train wreck quality....I found that part believable.

Rachel Thanks. I also found Delores' reaction to her life events believable. And I felt like the book ended on a hopeful, but believable, note.

Karla I'm with you, Rachel. I also really liked this book, and am surprised by the polarity of reactions (and especially all the negative ones). It's been years since I read it but I wasn't a teenager, so I have to stand with my original opinion (even though there's a lot about it I don't remember). Nice review.

Joy H. Hi Rachel. I just want to let you know that I've quoted a small part of your review in my review at: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
Hope you don't mind. I was looking for a way to express a thought and you had done it very well. I gave proper attribution to you.

Jonathan Hear, hear!
I didn't know that a book had to be "uplifting" to be good, or so say most of the reviews I see about this one.
Like you, Rachel, I was at times skeptical about the plot, yet satisfied in the end.

Christina I agree about the "train wreck quality". I have probably read this book about 20 timea over the last decade and always find something to love about it. And no, a book certainly doesn't have to be 'happy' to be good.

fivesunflowers completely agree. A lot of the negative reviews I see here are disappointment that there was not a "happy" ending, that 'what does a man know about being a woman', and one reviewer offended that he called a 13-year old 240lb girl obese (how dare!). I agree, this is not your typical story, and yes, HORRIBLE things happen to this poor girl, but geez, THAT is real life: mental illness, traumas, death ... this book had a deep meaning and if people looked deeper instead of looking for things to nit-pick about, they would see that.