Emma's Reviews > Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?

Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow? by Claudia Carroll

Mar 20, 12

bookshelves: reduce-that-tbr, romance, borrowed
Read from March 11 to 20, 2012

Annie's life has become a monotonous cycle of being neglected by her workaholic husband Dan and put upon by the constant stream of family and neighbours who live in the tiny little Irish village where everyone knows each others business and can't mind their own. When an opportunity comes along for her to join the cast of a hit theatre production on Broadway, it seems like just the lifeline she needs. The only thing is, it means moving to New York for a year and with their marriage already on the rocks will Annie and Dan's relationship be able to survive the separation?

It took me a little while to get into this book and I think this was in part due to the fact that I was expecting the story to leap into the premise that was outlined in the synopsis, whereas in fact a lot of time at the beginning was devoted to setting out exactly how frustrating Annie's life in 'The Stickens' was and providing a few flashbacks as to how she and Dan got together. It was a good quarter of the book before she even made it to New York but, in hindsight, I think this was important to help understand the characters history.

The book is narrated by Annie and I found her voice slightly jarring at times due to some repetitive phrases and the overly conversational style - however, that really was just a matter of my own taste and, to be fair, I suppose it was quite authentic; when you talk to people in real life they often have favourite words or sayings that they repeat like mantras. I also think that if I could have heard her voice as Irish in my head it would have helped but I didn't hear her that way. (view spoiler)

As I progressed through the story, it bothered me less, since I was more invested in Annie herself and wanted her to get a happy ending. What I particularly liked about this book was that it didn't seem very obvious exactly how that would come about in terms of the normal formula to a romance novel. (view spoiler) There were a couple of points in this book where I really, truly felt terrible for Annie and wanted to slap the characters around her. Occasionally, that made me want to slap her too because I felt like she was being a little bit too much of a doormat.

This is a light, easy read which takes a refreshingly different angle to your typical love story. If you fancy a bit of nostalgia for New York and a novel about a grown-up relationship, then you can't go far wrong with this at all.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?.

03/11/2012 page 36
03/18/2012 page 130
31.0% "Please, please stop saying 'anyroadup' at the start of every other paragraph!"
show 1 hidden update…