A.J.'s Reviews > A Student of Weather

A Student of Weather by Elizabeth Hay

Sep 21, 11

Read from September 17 to 21, 2011

Elizabeth Hay has this wonderful knack of really embedding you in the location of her novels. One morning, I was so deeply surrounded by 1930s Saskatchewan dust that it was a surprise to see Ontario trees and a lake outside my window when I put the book down.

A lot of the book is about the uneasy relationship between citizens of those two provinces. Norma Joyce Hardy is Saskatchewan: mercurial, productive and yet needy. Maurice Dove is Ontario: sophisticated, confident, self-absorbed.

Loved it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Student of Weather.

Quotes A.J. Liked

Elizabeth Hay
“You see the same plain landscape day after day, and then one day, perhaps it's the play of light or the time of year, you find it beautiful and other landscapes at fault. So it must be with fashion. Ordinary judgement falls into abeyance and something else, some bewitchment, takes over. How else to explain the appeal of garments that in a few years look so ridiculous?”
Elizabeth Hay, A Student of Weather

Elizabeth Hay
“And then he only had eyes for the pie. Watch any man, he could be ninety years old and drooling spit, but at the sight of homemade pie every last one of his wits will spring to attention.”
Elizabeth Hay, A Student of Weather