Darlene's Reviews > Cinema of Shadows

Cinema of Shadows by Michael  West

May 15, 12

bookshelves: for-review, read-in-2012, 2012-dusty-bookshelf-challenge
Read in May, 2012

I received this book for review from the publisher. I did not receive any compensation for my review, and the views expressed herein are my own.

When Kim Saunders was a baby, her mother was sure that she was developmentally delayed or autistic. Despite being assured by doctors that her beautiful daughter was absolutely normal, she still worried because it seemed that Kim was watching things that no one else could see.

The story then flashes-forward to when Kim is in college, and she is taking a Parapsychology course to fulfill her Psychology requirement. Professor Burke uses all types of specialized equipment in his investigations to identify paranormal activity, such as infrared thermal scanners to detect changes in temperature.

With the news that the Woodfield Movie Palace is slated for demolition, Professor Burke is keen to take his students there to investigate for paranormal activity. The old building has long been plagued with unusual occurrences and violent incidents, and there were claims of spectral activity made by both staff and patrons. Before the building is destroyed, Professor Burke wants to determine whether there is any truth to the rumors.

What happens at the Woodfield Movie Palace is straight out of a horror flick! Cinema of Shadows is delightfully creepy, and West has a way of writing that makes the hair stand up at the back of your neck. At a particularly eerie part in the story, I flipped the page and was faced with a ghastly illustration (courtesy of Matthew Perry) that startled me into dropping the book!

Some horror books are pretty gruesome and gory, but this book falls more into the “scary” category. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a book that gives you the creeps while reading! West is a new-to-me author, and I certainly plan to read more of his work!

MY RATING: 4 stars!! It was really good! You should put it on your TBR list! Thanks to Seventh Star Press for the review copy!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinema of Shadows.