Gregory Allen's Reviews > Baptism 3 Stories

Baptism 3 Stories by Jack Urquhart

Sep 18, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read in September, 2011

Jack Urquhart reminds me why I love to read - to be transported from my own surroundings. In the case of Baptism 3 Stories (So They Say), it is to another time and place with these deftly crafted, visually stimulating, acutely detailed flashbacks of yesteryear with young Rex Fordham. Urquhart is a master at storytelling that makes a reader feel they are living the character's life. To say I was transfixed while reading would be an understatement. I grew up a Southern Baptist (okay, a few decades after the settings for these stories) and felt very 'at home' within the pages of this book where mother is Mama and father is Daddy. The writing style and language is stunning and I can't say enough how much I enjoyed reading these three moments in the life of Rex. I only wished I had jumped straight to Volume 1 instead that appears to hold more of these glimpses into the life of this captivating young man as we undoubtedly get to witness him grow as the reader grows with him. If you want a trip through old Americana and have remembrances of a time before cellphones, the internet, and hundreds of television stations unfold before you - pick up a Jack Urquhart book and start reading. You won't be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Baptism 3 Stories.