Owlseyes's Reviews > Vates A.G.B.

Vates A.G.B. by Ana Margarida Oliveira

Dec 20, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: portuguese-lit

On the 30th of January,of year 1608,there's an overloaded ship (a Portuguese Nau,named Santo Agostinho) departing from Goa,India.Her captain is very worried about both cargo and people on board. The ship would arrive to Lisbon eight months later. In the meantime, a love story unfolds, and there's this mysterious box, the ship carries along. The writings inside the box (and their deciphering by a journalist of the 21st century) are, truly,the backbone of the book; they're authored by the shoemaker of Trancoso,named Bandarra,a kind of prophet and dreamer.And these writings tell something about the future of Portugal and the world.
Some say that Nostradamus language looks sloppy compared to Bandarra's careful one-that's debatable. I take this chance to place right here just some of the shoemaker's words:
Everyone will have a love/Gentiles and pagans/Jews shall become Christians/no more error shall be.
They will serve only one Lord/Jesus Christ; that I name/All will believe that the/Anointed saviour has already come.
(My translation from Portuguese into English).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vates A.G.B..