Andy Tischaefer's Reviews > The Big Rewind: A Memoir Brought to You by Pop Culture

The Big Rewind by Nathan Rabin

M 50x66
Sep 17, 11

it was ok
Read from September 12 to 17, 2011

I like Rabin's work on the AV Club, which is why I rescued this from the bargain bin to give it a shot. This is written pretty well, and it has its moments, but for a novel billed as "brought to you by pop culture" I expected more pop culture. What I got instead was what felt like a straight-up memoir. It was interesting to learn more about where Nathan comes from - he's certainly packed a lot of strange living into his 30+ years - but I expected the book to be filtered through the pop culture landscape a bit more. As such, I was left wanting.

One other complaint - I kept getting lost in time while reading it. I would have appreciated a few more dates thrown out there, so that I could orient myself within the story and within history. I didn't mind inherently that he would double back on himself for the sake of the narrative, in fact I understood why he did it and it worked, from a story perspective. However, it was confusing at times to suddenly realize that we'd gone back a few years, or skipped forward.

Recommended only for A.V. Club / Nathan Rabin fans.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Big Rewind.