Heather's Reviews > The Googlization of Everything:

Oct 27, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: technology-innovation, geography-travel-culture
Read from October 03 to 20, 2011

This was a very interesting book. It had a pretty negative tone, especially starting out and obviously it's a book written by someone that is wary of the power and monopoly of Google, but I think he does make a few interesting and important points that we should think about in this quickly changing world of technology. Technology really is affecting the way we live and is changing our culture.

I think it's important to understand how things that we use every day affect us. We should remember that we need to make choices and not let ourselves be controlled by things or others without our consent. Four of the main issues I think we need to think about with respect to the power of Google in our lives is how it affects the world of security and privacy, how it affects and creates the global public sphere, how it gathers and stores information creating a knowledge management system.

Google has revolutionalized the way we learn and communicate and think. I think it's an amazing tool and am very grateful for Google and the easy access it gives us to information, but this book did remind me of the importance of understanding what we are basing our decisions on. We need to control the technology and not let it control us. We need to be responsible for our learning.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Googlization of Everything.