Ryan's Reviews > Things Not Seen

Things Not Seen by Andrew Clements

U 50x66
Sep 17, 11

Read in January, 2000

This book is an under-appreciated young-adult classic. An everyboy named Bobby wakes up one morning to find himself invisible. But his biggest concern isn't how to use this new power for good or evil; it's simply how to get back to his normal life. The characters are all incredibly well written, and Bobby's thoughts are engaging and familiar, or at least they would be if I'd ever been invisible. Though it has a few bits of sci-fi in it--mainly centering around Bobby becoming invisible, and attempting to become visible again--it's more or less a coming of age novel, with a heavy dose of adventure. There are many surprises: some of them, temporarily worrying plot developments, and others, heartwarming discoveries and insights. I really, really liked this book--after all, I read it over 10 years ago and I still remember it well enough to say all this. And yes, it deserves a five star review. It may not be your typical classic, but I know I'll be re-reading this book soon now that I've recalled it, and I know I'll do so over and over again in the years to come.
8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Things Not Seen.

04/07 marked as: read