Tammy's Reviews > Music for Torching

Music for Torching by A.M. Homes

Sep 17, 11

Read in September, 2011

It was very difficult for me to assign a rating to this book.

On one hand - it is very well written. That is usually enough to earn 4 stars from me. I do love a well-turned phrase.

On the other hand - it was very difficult to read. The characters - straight across the board - are very unlikeable. It was hard for me to care about what happened to them. To make matters worse, every now and then I would see a little glimpse of myself or of other people I love. Never enough to make me think that I - or they - was/were 'just like' that character - far from it - but enough to make me uncomfortable.

Uncomfortable. That is the one word I would choose if I had to write a one-word review.

The story revolves around a suburban couple in their 40's. Dissatisfaction with their lives prompts them to make a rash decision which sets the events of the rest of the book in motion. Said events are over the top, but only just slightly so - making it not exactly realistic, but not exactly madly fantastic, either.

Without spoiling anything, the ending is shocking - and worse than even these unlikeable characters deserve.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Music for Torching.