Christina's Reviews > The Jungle Books

The Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling

Apr 29, 08

bookshelves: just-for-me, classics
Read in April, 2008

My original plan was to read this with the kids, but that didn't last past the first two chapters (with editing). This is definitely for an older crowd (at least the over-8 set). However, it peaked my interest so much that I kept reading in my own time and really enjoyed it. How did I miss this one growing up? Kipling is a master story-teller and the writing is almost lyrical at times. The jungle world he creates is utterly original and completely fleshed-out. Definitely recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jungle Books.

message 1: by Rozalyn (new)

Rozalyn All I can say is that you are totally hard-core. To the max. Kipling for kids? I am very impressed. If both of your kids don't end up at Harvard or Yale I will eat something inedible.

Let me know how it goes. I remember this one being a little heavy/dark/and sometimes scary. Or maybe that was "The Crucible".

Christina Oh, my friend, you are mistaken. Kipling NOT for kids. This one was for me. Just finished it yesterday (see review). Hopefully kids will NOT end up at Harvard or Yale (don't want that kind of superiority complex).

message 3: by Blue Meanie (new)

Blue Meanie I am hoping for something like Hamilton, or Carleton, or Bates. (or maybe BYU.)