Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews's Reviews > Ashen Winter

Read from October 03 to 04, 2012

*Genre* YA, Dystopian
*Rating* 4.0

*Review*

Ashen Winter picks up six months after the brilliantly released Ashfall ended. We find that Darla Edmunds and Alex Halprin are still at his uncle Paul’s home knowing that somewhere out there in the midst of all the super volcanic devastation are is his parents Doug and Janice who left Warren to look for him while leaving his sister Rebecca behind.

Once Alex and Darla leave the relative safety of Alex’s uncle’s farm (after getting a surprise visit from bandits who attempt to take Alex’s sister Rebecca), they find that things have gone from bad to really bad. As usual, Darla continues to be the brains behind the operation and her story is the most poignant and one that I continue to eagerly anticipate. Unfortunately, we get less of Darla this time out after Alex makes yet another horrific mistake and is forced into rescuing her.

With Darla out of the picture after falling into enemy hands, Alex becomes more determined and more forceful with his actions. He takes constant risks, makes idiotic mistakes like forgetting to take the safety off his freaking guns, and ends up meeting two new characters in Alyssa and Ben, who are brother and sister. Alyssa has done some horrible things in order to survive and keep Ben with her. I don’t find fault in her actions. It’s the end of the world, and unfortunately you have to use what you have at your disposal. Ben’s character totally blew me away. He is absolutely brilliant and a high-functioning autistic teen who knows about military tactics and weaponry. Had it not been for Ben, I would have found this story a bit less appealing than Ashfall. I doubt that Alex would not have survived to see the next installment, nor would he have found his parents.

As you read Ashen Winter, you are exposed to the more savage, unrelenting side of humanity and are shown to just what extents people are willing to go through to get what they want and live. The more time goes without a break in the current situation, the more bleak things become for those who survived Yellowstone catastrophe. We are reintroduced to several characters from Ashfall including Rita Mae the librarian who really cares for Alex and what happens to him as well as the commander of the Black Water refugee camp. We also get the long awaited reunion between Alex and his parents and an ending that really surprised me.

Ashen Winter is a decent sequel to Ashfall yet leaves room for the next book in this series. Definitely looking forward to the conclusion of this series sometime in 2013.

*Auto Approved 04/03/2012* via Netgalley.com
Expected publication: October 16th 2012 by Tanglewood Press

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashen Winter.

10/03/2012
12.0% "Chapter 10"
30.0% "Chapter 26"
10/04/2012
54.0% "Chapter 50 - Alex you are totally freaking me out with your idiocy!"
10/04/2012
81.0% "Chapter 72 - I have a bad feeling about what happens next."