Abby Johnson's Reviews > Yankee Girl

Yankee Girl by Mary Ann Rodman

Jun 18, 2007

Read in June, 2007

When Alice Moxley moves to Jackson, Mississippi from Chicago, she's stunned at how Negroes are treated. Her father is an FBI agent who's been sent to Mississippi to protect black people who are registering to vote. Soon Alice learns that in order to fit in, you can't be seen as a "Negro-lover". Then Alice learns that her school will be integrated this year. Valerie Taylor, the daughter of an influential black minister, is in her class. And Alice finds herself torn between being part of the popular clique and doing what she knows is right.

I only meant to start this book tonight, but once I picked it up, I couldn't put it down. Based on the author's own experiences in Mississippi in the 1960s, this is a very readable story. Alice is a spunky girl trying to find her way in a new school. She doesn't always make the morally right decisions, but by the end of the book she's done what she could to redeem herself.

Readalike suggestions: For more about school integration, suggest A Friendship for Today by Patricia McKissack, Warriors Don't Cry by Melba Patillo Beals, or the brilliant non-fiction Through My Eyes by Ruby Bridges. For another story about a girl moving south and starting over, suggest Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself by Judy Blume.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yankee Girl.

05/11/2016 marked as: read