Susan's Reviews > A Trick of the Light

A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny

Sep 17, 11

bookshelves: mystery-suspense
Read in September, 2011

Louise Penny has delivered yet another amazing mystery novel in "A Trick of the Light", reminding me once again why I feel she is one of the best (if not THE best). While I tried to exercise restraint...this compelling story would not let me go and I finished it in one day. It is not just that she is a masterful storyteller, but her words are crafted with such care...one of my favorite lines " Agent Isabelle Lacoste hit the key and the printer began to growl, as though it had a foul taste in its mouth, before it spat out the copies" leaves no doubt of the evil they contained in the reader's mind.

As this seventh book in the Inspector Gamache series begins, Gamache and his second in command, Jean Guy Belavoir are back at work solving murders and recovering from the physical and psychological aftermath of a brutal firefight that left them wounded and several fellow agents dead. They are once more called to the little town of Three Pines, whose inhabitants we have come to know in previous books, by the discovery of a body in Clara Morrow's garden, the morning after a major showing of her paintings in a prestigious Montreal art museum. Never has the phrase old deeds cast long shadows been more appropriate as the team must search the past for clues to solve the mystery before them, while the psychological wounds of Gamache and Belavoir are found not to have been healed at all. I highly recommend this book but set aside some time, because once you start, you won't want to stop.

Although any of her books could stand alone, I recommend starting with "Still Life" and reading them in sequence, for the character development of Inspector Gamache, his team and the people of Three Pines.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Trick of the Light.