Kristi's Reviews > Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua

Sep 17, 11

bookshelves: kindle, memoir, parenting
Read in October, 2011

I really wanted to hate this book. I remember being appalled by the excerpt that came out in the Wall Street Journal -- the one that set off all the brouhaha in the media about this book. But I think what many of the reviews and comments missed is that this is not a child-rearing treatise or a how-to manual -- it's a memoir. And it's a very bittersweet. touching and funny one, as well as being extremely honest. I admire Amy Chua's bravery in putting it all out there -- her finest and worst moments as a parent. I actually loved this book.

As for her parenting methods -- yes, they can be harsh and I don't think they would work for me or my particular kids. But there is a lot to admire in her strength, determination and high standards. There is something to be said for expecting the best from our children rather than coddling or excusing them.

So, all in all, I truly enjoyed reading this book and there are some laugh-out-loud funny moments, as well as ones that made me cry. If you can set aside judgement and read this book for what it is -- one woman's story of her struggle to parent her gifted, spirited daughters -- I think you will enjoy it too!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother.