Kristen's Reviews > Survivor

it was ok
bookshelves: horror
Recommended for: Extreme gore fans
Read in April, 2008

This is not a book for the faint of heart or weak of stomach. There, you have been warned. I'm a huge horror fan, I've been reading and watching horror from too young of an age so I'm pretty hard to gross out or scare. But there are two things I can't stand... don't hurt puppies and don't hurt babies. Sorry for the spoiler but let's just say there aren't any puppies in this book.

One Paragraph Summary: A young couple (Brad and Lisa) are on vacation where Lisa intended to tell Brad that they were going to be parents. Brad is falsely arrested and Lisa is kidnapped. Her kidnappers work for a "Snuff Film" company and intend to torture, rape and kill her on camera. Lisa is a survivor, she is willing to go to levels that not many others would to live.

This book is well written, though some parts are disgusting to read. We don't really see most of the murders but the aftermath is described in appalling detail. The story itself is at first terrifying, but then hits an over the top level that causes a decline in suspension of disbelief. I'm sure that the world has people this sick in it, but an 88 year old woman functioning as a Hannibal Lecter type serial killer is a bit of a stretch. After the terrifying opening, we also have pages and pages of the sick killers going on and on as to why they do what they do... frankly I don't know if Gonzales was trying to justify their actions or just make them sound more sick... but I didn't want to hear it, what serial killer really sits there and expounds upon his reasoning? Much less killer after killer discussing how and why they ended up in the snuff film industry. The book really loses momentum while we slog through the middle. About this time in the book, the characters lose their multi-faceted characteristics and become very flat and uninteresting. The coup-de-gras at the end is highly implausible but should keep the gore fans happy. As far as what to compare this with... if you are a fan of "Hostel", "Saw" and some of the other "extreme gore" films, this book is probably right up your alley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Survivor.

Tressa Thanks for the warning. Think I'll pass. I'm still recuperating from The Bighead.

message 2: by Gabylu (new)

Gabylu Hi!! What did Lisa do to survive? I know I don't have the stomach to read this book but sill I'm very curious of how Lisa survived..

Tressa For what it's worth, I didn't pass on this book and it was a tough read but it's a well written, at times thought-provoking book. Since you're asking Kristen the question, I'll let her answer. If she doesn't send me a PM and I'll tell you. It's not for the faint of heart.

Kristen Okay here it is SPOILER ALERT

She leads them to a woman with a baby, who they later rape, mutilate and everything else (both the woman and the baby) she uses this to make her escape

message 5: by Gabylu (new)

Gabylu ;_; god... thank you Kristen!

Tressa I keep wondering why she couldn't have screamed to warn the woman and caused a crowd to gather or why she couldn't have just ran. She really had planned something like this but it didn't work out. I thought they were going to somehow be saved, but this author really knows how to pop our little hope balloon.