Richard's Reviews > The Karate Mouse

The Karate Mouse by Geronimo Stilton

M_50x66
Sep 17, 11

In this, number 40 of the series, Geronimo Stilton’s adventurous friends blindfold him and fly him off to Japan to learn Karate. After a mere 7 days he fights in the world championships! Geronimo proves that if we try really hard and put our mind to something anything is possible.

However after Geronimo finishes his last fight the book moves to deal with a serious issue in sport, performance enhancing substances. Even though it is an excellent idea to teach children that cheating is wrong and has serious consequences, I don’t think this topic gels well with the rest of the book. There are a lot of positives to take from the book though. For example, on every page the font and colour of several specific words is changed. In general I found this variation made the pages interesting and is a pleasant change from the usual solid blocks of black print. When you combine this with the colourful illustrations on almost every page I would recommend this book for a 7-9 year old reader, especially one who struggles with more traditionally illustrated books.

Possibly what impressed me most was how the story gradually introduces us to Japanese culture and language. For example, when they first go to the training center, we learn the Japanese for gym is ‘dojo’. Also at the end of the book the ‘ABC to karate’ gives the basics to Japanese, including the number 1-10. All in all an excellent book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Karate Mouse.