Ebookwormy's Reviews > With Lee in Virginia

With Lee in Virginia by G.A. Henty

Apr 25, 08

bookshelves: kids-chapterbooks, fiction, history

I had heard a lot about G.A. Henty and his excellent books for boys, so I wanted to read one. I was surprised to find this amidst my own books, a castoff from someone, somewhere. So I read it.

There was one thing about this book that stood out very strongly to me. I have read a lot about the Civil War, but little about the war from a Southern perspective (after all, most history is written by the winners!). After reading this book, I understood to a new level of clarity why the Southerners were fighting, which constitutional issues were at stake and how/ why these principles were central to the culture of the South. Yes, it was about slavery - that i had gotten before - but Henty articulated the broader context of Southern culture and reasoning well.

It was an enjoyable read. The main character demonstrates courage, responsibility, honor, thoughtfulness for others, self-control and perseverence amidst the backdrop of the civil war. While the hardships of war are covered, they are not glorified.

This is not classic literature at its best and the story does not remain with me like that, but, overall, I found this to be an excellent book for a boy to read. The story was adventurous and moving, the main character a young man, and there is a lot here to contribute to moral development.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read With Lee in Virginia.