Readdiction's Reviews > Whitney, My Love

F 50x66
May 10, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: tearjerker, not-my-cuppa, historicalromance

I'm sorry but I just can't like this book. I couldn't get past either the rape or the abuse scenes (yes, it barely hurt her, but that is not the point) and the fact that he continuously distrusted her and emotionally abused her IMO. Even though, intellectually, I could understand why the heroine (and readers) would be able to redeem the hero and love him, emotionally, it left me disgusted. Its one of those love-it-or-hate-it books and it just didn't do it for me. I don't believe a rape victim could ever find anything to love about her rapists.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whitney, My Love.

05/05/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Daisiemae (new)

Daisiemae It's been so long since I have read it, I don't remember much of the story anymore...I forgot there was a rape scene in it.

Eastofoz I read the reprint and that part was toned down compared to the original. I can see how people wouldn't like it. I loved the story--the end just killed me. The hero was a huge sob but I thought he redeemed himself in the end.

Readdiction Unfortunately for me, I had read the original where it was blatantly a rape scene. I only later read the reprint but the original left a bad taste. I can't deal very well with books showcasing rape scenes, I usually stop reading at that point. This book however came highly recommended and I think Judith McNaught is an amazing writer as she's able to elicit such strong responses, it just doesn't mean that I'd love being wrenched in to two.

message 4: by Tammy (new)

Tammy I really liked PARADISE, but I haven't been able to bring myself to read this one yet because of all of the conflicting reviews I've read. I don't really care for rape scenes either, so I guess I will shove it to the bottom of my TBR pile.

Christine I wonder which version I have...I didn't realize there was a reprint that toned down the scene. It seemed pretty blatantly a rape to me and while I still enjoyed the story, it did require turning off logic and sensibility.

Rowa i totally disagree with you, sorry.....

message 7: by Monica (new) - added it

Monica Bradford i hated clay for that sexual abuse, wasn't right really but that didn't stop me loving clay for whitney.

message 8: by Najiya (new)

Najiya Amjad The only book I liked of her Westmorland saga was Kingdom of dreams. The last one in series is the worst ! Wonder why likes this Westmorland so much !

BURMA Badly written. It is nice to know that she improved a lot later.