Gill's Reviews > Aberystwyth Mon Amour

Sep 18, 11

it was ok
bookshelves: 2011, cymru, other-times
Read from September 16 to 17, 2011

Love it or hate it? People who have read it seem to have gravitated to the two extremes, and the reviews here reflect this.
I really can't make my mind up about it, as there were parts where I suspended disbelief and was carried along with a clever and twisty plot, and there were other parts where it just annoyed me. Details of the town geography and topography captured perfectly, only to be let down by something discordantly out of place.

People mention the capturing of the Welsh voice, but for me this element was sadly lacking. In fact it seemed to indicate that English was the only language spoken in Aberystwyth apart from superficial greetings of single Welsh phrases. No huddles of people gossiping in Welsh and breaking into English when a stranger enters the shop, with an obvious change of subject, which occurs frequently in fact. No failing to understand something quite basic when asked in English. Little real description of the surroundings or environment to build a picture. That part of it for me was disappointing.

There were inconsistencies in the plot at the end, where it moved so fast one wonders whether Pryce bungled it because of a tight deadline to finish writing.

It makes me think of my school reports: "Full of promise but needs more care in the execution".

A whole series? Well the titles are quite clever, but I'm not sure the contents would live up to their titles.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aberystwyth Mon Amour.