Alfreda's Reviews > Fever 1793

Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson

U 50x66
Apr 25, 08

When I first found out that I had to read this book, I was not excited about it, because usually school books are boring and have no interest for me in it. When I first started to read this book I thought here we go again another boring book, why are doing this to me? I got more into the book as time went by, and wound up actually liking it. This book had become interesting and it was like no other book that I had read before, which was a good thing. In the next few paragraphs, I will tell you why I liked this book.

My first reason for why I like this book is because, it takes you to a certain time in history when things weren't so great for our society. When you read this book it does at first seem like this another old boring school book, but then you get more into it and realize that it is actually interesting. In the book the author tells you about how malaria took over everyones life. No one was safe from it whether you were rich or the poorest of the poor, you had a chance of getting infected. At the same time this movie wasn't just about a diseases that was spreading it was also about family. This girl and her grandfather had to leave her mother behind because she was infected with malaria. On their way to their destination, they became closer because they had no choice but to survive on their own. So not only is this book about a disease that took over at one point in time, but it's also about how this disease brought families closer together.

My next reason for liking this book is for the simple fact that out of every book that I had ever read before having to do with any African Americans during that time, this book did not give them this title as being worth nothing at all. I wouldn't go as far as saying that they were treated as equals, but they did have jobs that they got payed for and they had homes and friends who were whites. I had gotten to a point where I got tired of reading about how useless African Americans were, when in fact in the book they portrayed one black woman as a hero in my eyes. She was there for this family when they needed her and she made sure everything was ok until the threat was over.

This book was just different and it opened my eyes up to books like this that I have never thought that I would ever want to read in my life. If you ever read this book maybe you will feel the same as me or either you will feel completely different. Either way Fever of 1793 is a book that I would recommend to anyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fever 1793.

Plante Family Ok same here since it's historical fiction but it turned out to be a great book. :{)