Books-treasureortrash's Reviews > Prodigal Son

Sep 16, 11

bookshelves: horror, reviewed
Read in September, 2011, read count: 1

Book Review: 2 Treasure Boxes

Frankenstein, the monster, now called Deucalion, is hiding in a monastery and after more than 200 years of life and has found a sort of peace, until he learns that his creator is still alive. Dr. Victor Frankenstein has remade himself and is now Victor Helios and he is creating pod people who are genetically modified to be his slaves. Throw into the mix a crazy man who is carving up pieces of women and keeping what he considers the perfect female attribute from each one in his freezer and you have an intense story. Detectives Carson and Michael are on the case trying to track down the murderer of the missing women but once Deucalion comes to the detective and lets them know what is really going on, they get pulled into a far more complex situation than they ever imagined.

Dean Koontz has written numerous books, primarily suspense thrillers, but Prodigal Son falls into the horror genre. It is told in the third person narrative from the various different characters in the book.

I liked the concept of the story, especially the idea that Frankenstein the monster is still alive after 200 years. I thought his character was great and I loved how he evolved into a caring and interesting person. I liked the two detectives, especially that each is sweet on the other, but not willing to act on it. I found Victor Helios to be extremely evil and what he was doing was repulsive. I did not like the ending, I felt it stopped in the middle of the story. There is lots of action especially towards the end which I found exciting.

I did enjoy the story and I am curious to find out what is going to happen to all the various characters, since nothing was really resolved in the first book. I will be reading City of Night, the next book to find out.

For more of my reviews go to: http://books-treasureortrash.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prodigal Son.