Margaret Metz's Reviews > The Bronze and the Brimstone

3220021
Sep 26, 11

bookshelves: children-s-young-adult
Read from September 16 to 26, 2011

This book had many of the same strengths and weaknesses as the previous installment. For much of the novel there is so much detail about the specifics of the process of making a canon (and all the other things that go along with it) that you almost feel like you're reading a technical manual for historical reenactments. A little is interesting - but ... The other is that the book seems to not really fit young adult or adult markets. The subject matter is at times so complex, philosophical, violent and serious that it seems geared more towards adults. There isn't as much character development as is usually seen in adult fiction - but that may have more to do with the author's choice to spend more time explaining all the details from the past and the technology they were working with.

It is a great story with a thoughtful premise and over the two novels you can see some interesting changes happening to Hansom. A lot of time is spent on his character in this book. I missed Lincoln and Shamira -- and even Guilletta. I hope we get to spend more time with the support characters in the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bronze and the Brimstone.