Donalyn's Reviews > Wonder

Wonder by R.J. Palacio

Auggie Pullman is born with Treacher Collins, a chromosome disorder that results in severe facial deformities. He is homeschooled for many years because of his ongoing need for extensive surgery and his parents' fear about how Auggie will be treated.

When Auggie begins fifth grade, his parents decide to send him to school. How Auggie, his family, and his classmates deal with Auggie's transition to school during one school year forms the basis of the storyline. I appreciated the honesty of his situation and how other children respond to Auggie at school. Many kids tease Auggie and the author also shows how Auggie is excluded without being openly bullied.

Wonder is a remarkable book about courage, love, and the difference one person can make in the lives of others. Auggie is an inspiring person because he is just an ordinary kid. It isn't just Auggie who inspires you, though, his parents, older sister, his teachers, and his friends and their families show their strength and love for Auggie in their daily interactions with him.

While the ending was a little bit like a Hallmark movie, I thought it was appropriate to the mood of the story and the characters' actions.

You will cry and smile and think of the special people in your life. Wonder is the sort of book that stays with you.
37 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonder.

01/29/2012 page 150
47.0% "Totally hooked. I love the different points of view." 1 comment

Cathy Blackler Anxious to hear your thoughts

Reilly Agreed! I can't stop!

Paul  Hankins Yay. I just knew you would love this book.

message 4: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim Just finished it this morning...absolutely loved it!

Beth Very rarely does a book compel me to stop everything I'm doing and add it to the top of my TBR pile. This one did.

Barb Donalyn, I think he went to a private school, not a public school. I'm thinking this because he took an entrance exam.

Jason I compared Wonder to a Hallmark movie, too! I'm glad I wasn't alone in feeling that way.

Donalyn Fixed, Barb. Thanks!

Michaela I absolutely love how you wrote that he is inspiring because he is an ordinary person.

Stacy Hallmark ending or not, I have a cousin that received a standing ovation at his high school graduation - in his own way, he faced many challenges like Auggie. I could completely picture it - amazing. :)

message 11: by K (new) - rated it 5 stars

K I'm so glad you liked it, Book Whisperer. I'm going to pull your book out again before school starts.

AnimeSketchFuel I finished book up today!! I just wanted to cry!!