Jennifer's Reviews > Red Prophet

Red Prophet by Orson Scott Card

Sep 18, 11

bookshelves: audible
Read from September 16 to 18, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I have to admit that I have a secret crush on one of the readers of this audiobook, Stefan Rudnicki, he narrates parts of all the Orson Scott Card novels I've listened to. He has such a deep strong voice, that makes whatever he's reading so much more enjoyable. He's one of three narrators in this novel, and the voice of Tecumseh, the Indian warrior. I add a star for the audible production - I think I'd only give it 3 stars if I read it.

This is 2 of 7 of the Alvin maker series, and must be read in sequence, it's an alternate history series, with lots of magic & folklore, including many mormon themes (tree of life, visions, tapestry of life, covenanting to lay down arms in battle). This one really requires some patience because the first 1/3 of this book is mostly setup, character introductions & history. In fact we don't even meet up with Alvin again until almost halfway through the book. This deals with the Indians vs. the Whites and the approaches of two Indian brothers, Tenswatana (the prophet) who urges peace and non violence, and Tecumseh who unites the various tribes to battle. Even in this alternate history things still turn out bad for the Indians, disappointingly (I was almost hoping that their success through either brother would really make this timeline more interesting). Alvin's all wrapped up in the middle of it and discovers more about his powers. I'll probably keep listening to them as long as Stefan's narrating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Prophet.