Ashley Mackler-Paternostro's Reviews > The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes

Feb 09, 2013

liked it
bookshelves: chick-fic
Read from September 16 to 17, 2011

I have to admit, I am genuinely surprised by the high marks CeeCee Wilkes received. From jump street, I struggled to digest this book and the massively huge events--all of which would make an for outstanding stand alone book--that ran head first into each other within the first 15% of my Kindle progress bar. Double rape, kidnapping, murder, the death of a parent...and one girl who, in many ways strikes out as a smart and streetwise...but becomes clumsily trapped into something so HUGE that it makes for sizable disbelief and a lot to hash out for a reader. It almost goes so far as to defy common, good old sense.

The book isn't BAD, I should absolutely say that. But it's not amazing. The letters from CeeCee's mother, while relevant to her period of life, are awkward--like exclamation points punctuating her rape.

What Chamberlain does well, she does really well. Her ability to bring you into CeeCee's world, to flesh her out for the reader, is absolutely brilliant. You can feel her loss and need and want...and understand her human, innocent weakness.

It's an okay book--not the best, not the worst--a steady, middle of the road read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes.