Joan's Reviews > All-of-a-Kind Family

All-of-a-Kind Family by Sydney Taylor

Sep 16, 2011

bookshelves: female-characters, jewish_authors_and-or_interest, historical-fiction, j-books, 5-6-fiction
Recommended for: history fiction fans, all ages, Jews interested in the Lower East Side of NYC

I read this series many times as a child. I loved the glimpse of a time and culture unfamiliar to me. Quarantines? While it turned out my Dad had been quarantined as a kid for Measles I think, he promptly slipped out of the house via a tree branch and played with neighborhood kids. But I only found that out as an adult, and never had read about the effects on a family before. Dusting for PENNIES? Even as a child a penny was peanuts. Splitting up a candy store order based on half pennies? See comment about pennies and peanuts. This was a wonderful glimpse into a long gone lifestyle. You also catch glimpses of what the adults were going through at the same time. One of the best historical fiction I've read to this day!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All-of-a-Kind Family.