Dee Dee Walker's Reviews > The Traveler

Mar 04, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy-science-fiction
Read in February, 2012

Overall this was a decent book. Not great but not that bad either. This is not the genre that I usually read so I enjoyed the novelty. I noticed that many other readers complained of it being too cliche. This might be true. I suspect it is.

As I see it, the major flaw in this book is the underdevelopment of the characters. They were flat and one-dementional. Towards the end of the book I just wanted it to get through it so I could start a new novel. I just didn't care anymore.

The other problem that I had with this book was the idea of the Tabula. Tabula is a group of powerful people who want to control the world. The idea is that they "give the appearance of freedom with the reality of control." Supposedly they have the technology, contacts and money to keep tabs on the population as a whole. They control the perception of reality via manipulation of media, technology etc. Everyone and everything they do is documented through technology. I found that I could not suspend my disbelief. It just seemed to me that if they were that powerful and had eyes everywhere that they could have easily tracked down the Traveler and Harliquine. I just didn't buy it. Also, the technology seemed reasonable at some points but when the author gets into describing the quantum computer I found myself rolling my eyes.

This book just didn't work for me. I don't think I would recommend it.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Traveler.